what started out as an acne-hyperpigmentation-paranoia coverup has gotten a little carried away in recent years. i actually didn't start wearing face makeup until my friend gifted me a sephora sculpting disc in my early 20s—they don't make them anymore, but it was this awesome giant disc that had foundation, bronzer, and highlighter all in one. it was so convenient, i loved that thing.
makeup is a lot of fun, but i am hoping to taper down once i go through my current rotation and generally wear less every day unless it's for a special occasion. until then, some faves listed below in order of use:
- prepping the skin: son & park beauty gel
not necessarily a pore-smoothing primer, but it's a great pre-foundation product that adds an extra layer of hydration. my skincare regimen is pretty extensive, but this step helps because i use a few acne-fighting products, which tend to dry out the skin.
- bb cream: : skin79 gold
great coverage + skincare benefits, cha-ching!!
- foundation: son & park essence core foundation stick #23
i've received SO many compliments on my skin after i started using this foundation. the scent isn't my favorite, but that essence core is really great
close fave: make up for ever duo mat foundation 202 translucent beige
- concealer: nars ginger, although i don't need it as often because of steps 2 & 3.
- blush: nars orgasm
close fave: shu uemura glow on blush blossom dream collection #324
- highlight: benefit watt's up
close fave: shu uemura glow on blush #510
- eyebrow palette: banila co brow cake grey brown
rival fave: shu uemura hard formula stone gray
- setting powder: nars light reflecting pressed setting powder
- primer: etude house proof 10
the packaging on this one has been frustrating (everything sticks to the edges!) so i've recently switched back to urban decay anti-aging eye primer.
- eye shadow:
- eyeliner: sephora waterproof pencil in black
other faves: stila stay all day waterproof liquid liner
- mascara: maybelline great lash waterproof formula
will be switching back to maybelline collossal volum express after i'm done with this one.
- shu uemura eyelash curler
- setting spray: farmacy skin dew essence mist + setting spray
this is a new category for me, but the natural polymers in this one made me want to try it. ends with a dewy glow and makeup stays in place all day. it's a daily necessity for me now, and i'm honestly scared to try any setting spray that isn't natural. picture: elmer's glue vs. tree sap. eep!
my lips went through some painful, bizarre allergic reactions to product last winter, so i've had to eliminate a lot of my favorite products including revlon lacquer balm, ysl volupté sheer candy and nars audacious lipstick. i still stand by these products for their texture and non-drying fomulas, they just don't match my body right now. other formulas that have been doing well for me below:
- lip balm:
- bite amuse bouche lipstick and lush fruit lip gloss samples, both in classic bright red
- peripera cushion. LOVE how vibrant and matte this neon pink pigment is. i just picked up a fluorescent red one.
- givenchy le rouge sample. was a gift, but the darker cherry red shade is quite nice.
- revlon super lustrous in berry haute
- mac, sheer dark purple. settles in lip creases, so it's better layered over the givenchy to make it darker.
- son & park watermelon lip tint. perfect for a natural pink.